Thursday, July 1, 2010

Ok everyone, it's the moment you've all been waiting for. The first recipe I will be sharing with you is one that has been in my family for many years. It's a great summertime dessert that can be made with just about any kind of fresh fruit. I like to use whatever fruits are locally in season. It is always best to use local produce especially if it's organic. I know that Gregory has already mentioned the use of organic foods and I want to say I can't agree more. Anyway, lets get down to business. The recipe I would like to share is called Oma's German Fruit Coffee Cake. ( I know it's a long name but thats the way it is.) I really enjoy this cake on a warm summer evening out on the deck with friends and family.
The ingredients you will need are as follows:
For the Cake:
2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Sugar
1 Stick Butter (Softened)
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs
For the Topping:
2 Cups of Fresh Fruit (sliced if large)
1 Stick of Butter(Not-Softened)
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar

Preheat the Oven @ 350 Degrees. Begin the crust by mixing the Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt together. Then in a mixing bowl blend the Eggs, Butter, Vanilla, and Sugar. After the wet mixture is mixed thoroughly add the flour mixture. The dough should be like a wet cookie dough. Lightly grease a 9" x 12" cookie sheet with butter and then spread out the dough by pressing it on the cookie sheet evenly. Then spread the fruit over the dough. Next pour the remaining topping ingredients into a bowl and cut the butter into the flour and sugar. The mixture should look like crumbles the size of a pea (no need for perfection). After the topping is mixed spread it evenly over the fruit and place in the oven. The cake should bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Top should be crispy and firm with a golden color. Let cool and serve with your favorite ice cream. Mine is vanilla. =P This recipe may seem a little long but once you get the hang of it it's relatively quick to prepare and is always a crowd pleaser. I hope you find this recipe easy to follow. If not, please let me know how I can improve it. I would love to hear your feed back. Good luck and enjoy!!!

5 comments:

  1. so looking forward to making this Thursday with fresh blueberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I add that this is a stupendous desert, as I had the opportunity to try it myself several weeks ago. Oh, and it goes well with chocolate ice cream too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is is a stupendous dessert. Alexis made it the other day with fresh blueberries and it was delish!!---Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. um..duh...that was supposed to say, "It IS a stupendous dessert"...in agreement with Gregory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - yummy!!
    I really liked that Colin could help me with prep - so it was only about 1/2 from beginning to oven! And he liked having left-overs for days afterward =)

    ReplyDelete