Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My twist on a citrus-y menu

Spicy Orange Chicken

2-3 pounds of meaty chicken pieces - breasts, legs, thighs, and drumsticks (I used breasts spilt in half)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
1 large onion, halved & thinly sliced
1 small red sweet pepper, cut into bit-sized strips (I didn't used these)
1 small yellow sweet pepper, cut into bite-sized strips (I didn't used these)
4 cloves garlic, minced (I used jarred - I didn't have fresh)
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel (I zested an entire orange)
1 cup orange juice (I juiced 2 oranges)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup bottled hot salsa (I used mild/medium salsa)
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained (didn't have black, used cannelini)
Chopped, peeled avacado - optional (highly recommended!!)

Remove skin from chicken, if necessary. In a very large skillet or a 4-quart Dutch oven cook half of the chicken in hot oil about 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. (Mine only took a few minutes on each side because they were so thin). Repeat with the other half of the chicken. Remove all chicken from pan; sprinkle with salt & pepper. Set aside.

Add onion, sweet peppers, and garlic to the pan. Cook just until onion and peppers are tender. Return chicken to pan. Add orange peel, orange juice, chicken broth, and salsa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. (Mine only took about 15-20 minutes) Add beans to chicken mixture; heat through. If desired, serve with avocado. (I served the chicken over rice with avocado).

And for Becky - Nutrition facts as listed per serving: 305 cal, 14 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 402 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Daily Values: 15% vitamin A, 82% vitamin C, 5% calcium, 14% iron.


Lemon-Blueberry Cream Pie

Make sure you have all ingredients ready to go when you begin...
this is NOT a prepare as you go recipe.

1 cup sugar (I used 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup)
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup milk
3 egg yolks, beaten

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 Tbsp finely shredded lemon peel
(I zested a whole lemon)
1/4 cup lemon juice
(I juiced 1 lemon)
1 8-oz carton sour cream (I used plain yogurt - didn't have sour cream. I think this affected the consistency)
2 cups fresh blueberries (I used frozen, hadn't picked yet this year)

9-inch pie crust, BAKED & cooled
whipped cream, optional
(didn't use)
lemon curls, optional
(didn't use)
lemon slices, optional (didn't use)

In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch (no heat yet). Add milk, egg yolks, butter, and lemon peel. Cook, stirring/whisking constantly (really important to stir the whole time - otherwise it will be lumpy), over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour (maybe a little less would be okay).

Stir sour cream into lemon mixture. Carefully fold in blueberries. Transfer to baked pie crust. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours to set. If desired garnish with whipped cream, lemon curls, and lemon slices/twists. Makes 8 servings.

Nutrition facts per serving: 420 calories, 23 g total fat, (10 g sat fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein, Daily values: 26% vitamin A, 16% vitamin C, 7% calcium, 7% iron.

3 comments:

  1. BTW, I got to personally sample the Blueberry-Lemon cream pie, and my tongue was dazzled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuk..I wrote a semi-long comment that somehow got lost in cyber-space.

    Alexis...wanted to thank you so much for including the nutritional facts for me...so thoughtful and helpful!

    Recipe sounds delish--and totally something that me, Chris and his whole family would like---so I'm thinking of giving it a shot while visiting his parents this week:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all right, so I made the recipe, with the peppers and all as called for (except the hot salsa, we used mild). Tim and I both said we felt like it was missing something... but by the end we decided we were wrong :-) Tim did add a little hot sauce to his as he likes things rather spicy and I don't. The avacado was great! And Tim thought maybe a little fresh cilantro would top it off nicely as well. We also say no need to use the chicken thighs, legs, etc. because halved chicken breasts (like Alexis used) came out nice and tender and juicy.

    ReplyDelete